From: owner-radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu [mailto:owner-radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu]On Behalf Of James Reese
Sent: Thursday, January 17, 2002 8:53 AM
To: radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu
Subject: Florospar

RADSAFERS, I recently ran across a large stockpile of Florospar (CaF2 as marked) ore that provided a reading of over 100,000 cpm on a 2x2 NaI detector.  Does anyone know what might be giving that sort of response since neither Ca or F, as far as I know, are radioactive?  My guess is that the ore is “contaminated” with either uranium or thorium.

Thanks for your help

James Reese

Sr. Health Physicist

ERS Solutions, Inc.