Low dose radiation stimulates increased antimutagenic biosystem...

I don't have immediate access to the refs. below but a first comment is: An

alpha particle may cause local damage across a diameter which is larger than

100 nm. Therefore it seems quite possible that some homologous genes can be

knocked out by the same ionization (confocal microscopy photographs can give

you some important clues) - the stage of the cell cycle can be expected to

be very important. If such a dual knockout occurs there is no "backup" left.

The same is true for all the events which relate to heterozygosity of

critical genes (enough to knock out one gene - then there is no backup gene

to repair from).

Antimutagenic activity can mean a lot of things including increase in the

amount of thiols in the cell.

Bjorn Cedervall    bcradsafers@hotmail.com

"Low dose radiation stimulates increased antimutagenic biosystem activity

that decreases metabolic mutations, thus lowering cancer mortality and

increasing longevity." Pollycove M, Feinendegen L, Biologic and

Epidemiologic Foundations of Radiation Hormesis, J Nucl Med. 42(7),(9). 2001

and Doctors for Disaster Preparedness 7/14/01, data on tape from

jersnav@mindspring.com.

Howard Long

Bjorn Cedervall wrote:

>>4. I BELIEVE the very notion of biological response to any given agent as

>>linear, clear down to the smallest amount is ridiculous!  Especially when

>>that agent is and always has been a part of nature.

(PS. For clarity, I did not write the paragraph above/Bjorn Cedervall)

http://www.hotmail.com