Re: Mr. Ford and Iowa Radon Lung Cancer Study

<Note:  We'll now dispense with all titles>

Bill, you're right.  You're absolutely right.

Is that better?

You're right, I'm stupid.  I'm thick-headed.  I'm dumb.  I'm slow.

I need, not just a few, but several semesters (perhaps years?) of statistics

and epidemiology to be able to stand in your shadow.

"You da man."

I guess I'm blind too.  Blind because I have yet to see any of the treatment

you describe below also described in your study (i.e., intervals).  Or I

must not be clairvoyant enough to read between the lines to see what you

obviously intended.   Since you mentioned your statistician, did he sign off

on the level of precision you've used in your numbers?  I'd love to see the

paper where you handle your propagation of error for WLM exposures.  Again,

given the level of uncertainty you have to deal with, especially occupancy

factors, how in the world do you justify reporting to two decimal places?

(16.95 WLM)

Do you maintain that grouping does not affect outcome?  Wouldn't an even

grouping put 20% in each exposure category?  Instead you've chosen 15%, and

4 @ 21.25%?  Are those uniform intervals or "non-uniform intervals?"

Am I just being stupid again?

By the way, I am pleased to see that you also feel that the EPA's 4 pCi/L

threshold is "arbitrary."

You broach the topic of statistical power.  Given this is a

population-based, case-control study, what is the power of your study with

the relatively small number of cases and controls?  I noticed you did not

reply to my question on statistical significance that you have maintained is

an erroneous allegation.

On the smoking business, Bill, you're probably going to have to go to the

"blue-in-the-face" level (ref: Field: "I really do not know how many times I

have to say this to be understandable to you.")  Your study is identified as

a population-based, case-control study.   I have NEVER maintained that you

MUST COMPLETELY match for smoking.  However, I do maintain that you should

have at least ATTEMPTED  to match for smoking.  Your data shows that you did

not.  In fact, the cases and controls have either non-linear, inverse

(Smoking) or markedly different (Years since cessation of smoking) patterns

of smoking behavior.

I have discussed the latter in a previous post when showing that other

studies have at least ATTEMPTED to match for smoking.  For the uninitiated,

the percentage ratios of %cases:%controls from the IRLCS fall out as below:

Smoking (pack years) [from Table 1, page 1096, Field et al]

                        %Cases       %Controls   %cases:%controls

0-19                13.2                    49.5                    27%

20-39               37.2                   30.0                    124%

40-59               28.6                   28.6                    173%

>= 60               21.0                     4.0                    525%

Modeling is great, wonderful, and fine..... if you actually believe that the

results of the model depict some version of the truth.  I guess I'm just too

stupid to believe in the ability of a model to control for confounding when

we don't actually know 1) what  the mechanism is for lung cancer induced by

smoking, and 2) IF THERE IS A MECHANISM for lung cancer induced by radon at

these exposure levels  AND when the case-control "Smoking" data is INVERSELY

related!

Especially given the relatively small numbers used in this study, you have

to attempt to match.  Get more controls!

Yes, Bill.  You are correct.  I am stupid, but perhaps not SO stupid that I

don't see through the BS (Blowing Smoke) of the "superior knowledge"

argument.  If you've been lulled into actually believing that your modeling

mimics reality to the point that you can deduce a radon and lung cancer

relationship in the background of your cases' overwhelming smoking patterns

... well, we're just not going to find any common ground here and you're

probably going to keep thinking that I'm an idiot.  I'll try not to lose any

sleep.

As for your pleasant entreaties,  I would gladly obliged, but, Bill .....

you kinda hurt my feelings, so I just "teared up" and started to type.

Yes, Bill.  I would love to end this discussion and move to the Billet

forum.  But it's a bit disingenuous on your part to label me as an idiot and

not expect a reply.  I haven't stooped to those tactics and I didn't expect

it from you.

As for the letter you have requested, your Billet letter singled out Dr.

Klein (not Mr. Klein) and now you have singled me out in this forum (your 24

JAN 02 post).  As a result, I see no reason for the entire TRAB to be

dragged into the quagmire of insult that has ensued, and you really have no

room to make that a condition of the debate.

So if you can manage to keep the personalities out of it and stick to the

facts of the debate, we can end this fairly quickly and I can get to writing

the letter!

Have a great Day/evening/weekend,

v/r

Michael