Re: Spatial Radon Variation

Don,

I have no problems with what you said below. There may be a way that the

study's authors could check on the validity of my original concerns (1.

Change in a house's ventilation as a result of the occupant's lifestyle

change after lung cancer diagnosis. 2. The absence of elevated radon levels

in the basements of cases.)

1. Changes heating fuel consumption (whatever it is: gas, oil,

electricity...) could indicate changes in ventilation. The more you

ventilate in the winter, the more make up air you have to heat. This could

be incorporated into future studies, but you may also be able to get heating

fuel consumption retrospectively. (The relationship is not linear and going

through 0, because some heat is lost through conduction.)

2. You could use the radon concentration distribution described in "Spatial

variation of residential Radon Concentrations: The Iowa Radon Lung Cancer

Study" Health Phys 1998;75:506-13 and calculate the probability of finding

that cases had basements with lower average radon concentration than

controls, given the ERR of 50% per 11 WLM reported in "Residential Radon Gas

Exposure and Lung Cancer: The Iowa Radon Lung Cancer Study" AJE Vol 151

No11.

"Spatial variation of residential Radon Concentrations..." shows a fairly

decent correlation between basement readings and first floor readings and a

large variation of basement readings across Iowa. The other paper reports

that the first floor radon concentration was a large factor in exposure.

That's why I would think that the probability of having the average basement

reading for cases lower than for controls is fairly low. I haven't done any

statistics in ~ 15 years, so maybe someone in that field could help out.

This would be a direct test of LNT.

Kai