Re: Other NIEHS Radon studies (radon and larynx, gastric cancer, and leukemia)

Don and Radsfers,

Their is no question that U miners who received a high Rn exposure have a

higher risk of lung cancer.  Nobody has any doubt about that.  The only

important point, from a public health viewpoint, is the shape of

the"dose"-effect curve at low exposures, say between 10 and 70 or so WLM,

with all-inclusive, realistic error bars in both X and Y directions, and

that all potential confounders have been accounted for and taken into

account.  So far, error bars seem to be for Poisson statistics only on

number of cancer cases (perception of a non-epidemiologist).  If true, this

gives a false sense of accuracy, even when error bars are large (witness

incompatible, exclusive error bars among the eleven-cohort joint analysis).

How wide would be the error bars with ALL sources of error and uncertainty ?

Question 1 : Is my perception that Poisson stats alone are used to calculate

error bars wrong ?

Question 2 : What prevents including ALL sources of errors in error bars ?

In any other scientific domain, graphs  with error bars that do not include

ALL sources of error and uncertainty would be frowned upon, and possibly

rejected.

References on the rationale for using Poisson stats only (if my perception

is not mistaken), would be appreciated.

Note: Having worked and lived for about a decade and a half among U miners

in two continents, I suspect that the combination of smoking and drinking

(wine and other pleasant alcoholic things, in respectable quantities) might

be nice confounder for mouth, larynx, stomach, liver - why not lung also,

the interface between alcohol in blood and air) and other cancers.

Philippe Duport

International Centre for Low Dose Radiation Research

University of Ottawa

555 King Edward Ave.

Ottawa, ON, Canada, K1N 6N5

Tel: (613) 562 5800, ext. 1270