Cohen's Fallacy and Doll

Dr. Cohen,

I did not post your response, because it was not responsive to the letter of

Darby of Doll.  Please do me the favor of responding to this quote from Doll

and Darby.  "Professor Cohen states in his letter that his analysis

encompasses all of the Doll suggestions'. It is, however, logically

impossible for it to have done so using data at the level of counties. This

is because the effect of cigarette smoking on the relationship between

residential radon and individual lung cancer risk will be determined by the

relationship between smoking status and lung cancer among the individuals

within each county."

Cohen does not have information on the relationship between smoking and lung

cancer within counties.  Drs. Field and Smith have been making this same

point as Doll and Darby in their Forum paper and subsequent letters, yet

Cohen has not responded specifically to this charge.  Dr. Field gave you a

way to possibly correct for this problem a few days ago on this list, but

you said you preferred to do it your own way, which you haven't.

I think Sir Richard Doll knows a bit more about epidemiology then either of

us.

http://www.britcoun.org/science/science/personalities/text/ukperson/doll.htm

Doll is Recipient of the Gold Medal of the Royal Society of Medicine and the

National Award for Cancer Research.  Tobacco was introduced into Europe at

the close of the 15th century as a treatment for disease and as a

recreational drug.  Doll was the first person to identify tobacco as a

causal factor for MANY diseases.

>From 1948 until 1969, Sir Richard Doll, a physician-turned-researcher,

>worked in England's Medical Research Council's Statistical Research Unit,

>at first under Sir Austin Bradford Hill (as in Bradford Hill Criteria for

>causality) and then as the Unit's director.

With Sir Austin, he carried out a study of the causes of lung cancer which,

in 1950, established its relationship to smoking.  He also initiated a study

of the mortality of doctors in relation to their smoking habits which

demonstrated that smoking was related to many other diseases including heart

disease.

Don