RE: Re: Cohen's Fallacy

On Mon, 28 Jan 2002 Jack_Earley@RL.GOV wrote:

> <<smoking status and residential radon are uncorrelated within each county

> (which seems unlikely)>>

> Okay, now it's my turn to be stupid(er). How could smoking status possibly

> correlate with residential radon? Are smokers now congregating in high radon

> or low radon subdivisions?

	--My studies of many tens of thousands of U.S. homes (Health Phys.

60:631-642;1991) found that homes of smokers had only 90% as much radon as

homes of non-smokers. This was consistent for all sections of the country.

It might be explained by smokers opening their windows more to reduce the

odors. I should have said that the 90% is an average.