Re: Cohen's Fallacy and Doll

Sir Richard Doll's and Sarah Darby's perspective on your

studies are published in the paper below.  I imagine they felt is was futile

to respond because you ignored the points they made such as colinearity

within counties.

Ann Oncol 2001 Oct;12(10):1341-51

Radon: a likely carcinogen at all exposures.

Darby S, Hill D, Doll R.

Clinical Trial Service Unit, University of Oxford, UK.

sarah.darby@ctsu.ox.ac.uk

BACKGROUND: Radon is a well-established lung carcinogen that has been

extensively studied. Very high concentrations can occur in some underground

mines. Concentrations also tend to build up in homes. MATERIALS AND METHODS:

Epidemiological studies of radon-exposed miners and of residential radon and

lung cancer are reviewed. Quantitative estimates of the risk of lung cancer,

based on the experience of the miners, are applied to residential radon

exposures in the United Kingdom. Strategies for the prevention of lung

cancer induced by residential radon are discussed. RESULTS: Estimates are

uncertain, but residential radon is probably responsible for about 2000 lung

cancer deaths per year in the United Kingdom, or around 6% of the total,

making it the second biggest cause after smoking. Over 80% of the deaths are

estimated to occur at ages less than 75 and over 80% in smokers or

ex-smokers. Around 90% of radoninduced deaths in the United Kingdom probably

occur as a result of exposures to radon concentrations below the currently

recommended action level of 200 Bq m(-3). CONCLUSIONS: Further work is

needed to obtain more reliable estimates of the risk of lung cancer

associated with residential radon and on the cost-effectiveness of various

intervention strategies before the most appropriate policies can be

developed for managing exposure to this natural carcinogen.

http://www.hotmail.com