From: Frey, Steven R.

Sent: Friday, February 01, 2002 2:21 PM

To: radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

Subject: Stop the madness

Dear Radsafers -

Bob raises an important observation about the antinuclears' ability to rout us

with near-certainty in legislative, media, and public forums. In part we have

ourselves to blame.

In the interest of 'fairness', we as a profession have communicated directly

with antinuclear activists who contact us seeking technical information about

radiological science. These inquiries are made with great courtesy. Disarmed,

we tell them everything.

And then to our shock, we get clobbered in public. Every single time.

The scientific information that we convey to the antinuclears is never used

as we so naively intend for the common good. Instead, the antinuclears dissect it,

analyze the language, and develop potent emotion-invoking counterpoints that are

tailored to frighten the heck out of people. How many of you have ever explained

what a curie is to a sincere-sounding antinuclear activist in private, only to hear that

same person later tell in dramatic tones a shocked legislative committee holding a

public hearing that a curie is "thirty-seven MILLION(!)...DISINTEGRATIONS(!)

 ....per SECOND(!!!)"

And how do we respond? Terribly. We counter weakly that yes, that is correct.

And we don't bother to put it into a layperson's perspective, usually because by this

point the shrieking, crying, name-calling, and scornful shouting from the audience has

intimidated us into silence. As a result, we lose yet another round in the eyes of the

public. We never seem to learn or accept that the word 'disintegration', and 37 million

of them a second no less, means something vastly different and far more scary to

the public than it means to us. But you can bet the drama-coached, focus-group

savvy antinuclears know.

I propose that we stop this madness. Barring antinuclears from access to this forum

is a great place to start. They never come here for objectivity and open exchanges

of objective science, no matter how sincere or friendly they pretend to be. Instead,

they come here with sickening sweetness to mine us for popular radiological science

phrases and expressions, then use them to develop horribly-wrong but highly effective

counterpoint sound bytes with which to crush us whenever we speak in public.

Aiding and abetting the enemy is not a wise policy. We would help society benefit

better from radiological science if we stop showing the antinuclears our playbook.

Steve Frey

(the above is my opinion only)