Re: abnormal chromosomes and cancer

The problem I see is that a marker of exposure appears to be used as a

marker of disease.  Chromosome aberrations have been shown to be a

pretty good dosimeter, but the relationship with cancer could go either

way.  IMO, the first question to be answered is, does cancer cause

chromosome aberrations?  Years ago I worked for Dr. William Brandom at

the University of Denver counting aberrant lymphocytes in Rocky Flats

workers, uranium miners and others.  Once a subject was diagnosed with

cancer they were excluded from exposure studies, but we sometimes

counted their cells anyway.  The highest number of aberrant cells

(97/100) was found in a subject who died of cancer of the everything a

few weeks after the sample was taken.  As I recall, he had a large Pu

body burden, but the number of chromosome aberrations didn't really

increase until the initial cancer had metastized through the lymphatic

system.  I don't believe the data were ever published, but I may be

wrong.  I've never seen a study that looked at chromosome aberrations in

terminal cancer patients, but I'd like to.  Anyone have references?

The only way to really show that chomosome breaks predict cancer will

be to show the relationship prospectively, i.e. find subjects with high

aberration rates and wait to see how many develop cancer, what kind, and

how soon.  This study appears to be cross-sectional, confusing

prevalence with incidence and tends to muddy the waters more than

clarify them.

These remarks are based on my reading of the abstract, and may change

once I've read the paper.  I definitely have questions.

Regards,

Tony Harrison, MSPH

Colorado Dept. of Public Health & Environment

Laboratory and Radiation Services Division

(303)692-3046

tony.harrison@state.co.us

>>> "Field, R. William" <bill-field@UIOWA.EDU> 02/01/02 09:20PM >>>

It is pretty rare to see a study actually relates the degree of

abnormal

chromosomes with cancer.  I would like to hear others thoughts on this

paper.

Regards, Bill Field