Re: Stop the madness

The nuclear industry initially overstated its case blatantly.  I was in fact one of the few people to point this out publicly before 1979.  But you klnow, that's a while ago.  I guess my frustration stems from the fact that we meekly accept the anti-nukes' contention that nothing has changed since 1978.  It's in their interest to repeat the same charges that might have been tru then, but are no way true now.

Idon't think confidence has anything to do with anything.  The public never had "confidence" -- most members of the public never gave nukes a second thought.  The environmental movement latched on to something to beat an industry and a branch of government up with, and went to it, and engaged the press.  And what do we do now?  We beat our breasts -nostra maxima culpa - and keep asking ourselves "what are WE doing wrong"  instead of just saying to the anti-nukes "Ok guys, you had a point, and a good one, at one time.  But look at the situation now.  The industry, and expecially the government, changed its ways at least somewhat in response to your urging.  So now, it is not the industry that is overstating its case any longer, it's the anti-nukes."

Ruth Weiner, Ph. D.
ruthweiner@aol.com