Master of Health Physics At IIT

The Illinois Institute of Technology (IIT) Master of Health Program is four

years old.  We continue to have great success with program students and

graduates passing the ABHP exams.  In 2001, two took Part I and both

passed.  The four year average pass rate for our students is about

50%.  One student took Part II in 2001 and unfortunately, he did not

pass.  However, he will take the exam again and will continue to have a

high pass rate on Part II.  Several students and graduates were able to

qualify for much higher paying positions with greatly increased

responsibilities, in part because of their working on an advanced degree.

I am posting this message to help as many working HPs as possible learn

about our program and to encourage thinking about a graduate degree as a

career enhancing step.  I would appreciate your sharing this information

with other professionals who might be interested.  We have had successful

student participation from industry, state programs, the NRC, National

research and weapons labs, hospitals, universities, and consulting firms.

Illinois Institute of Technology is accepting applications for the Masters

of Health Physics program beginning Fall, 2002.  This program, offered live

and via the Internet, takes 2 years to complete.  A one-week laboratory

course must be taken on site.  The program is designed to improve career

opportunities for existing HPs by enhancing skills and encouraging

certification.  The program is directed toward the working professional

with an emphasis on preparation for ABHP certification. The program

includes core courses in Health Physics, Dosimetry, and Environmental

Modeling, as well as classes in Organizational Behavior, Statutes, and

Regulations.

Formal application to the Graduate College should be made as early as

possible to ensure admission for the Fall semester.  Minimum admission

requirements include a bachelor's degree (usually a BS in a science or

engineering) and a GRE score of 1200.  Applicants must submit two letters

of recommendation, transcripts, and current GRE scores for regular

admission.  Alternatively, you may apply for quick admission and take up to

two courses before making formal application to the program.  Performance

in these classes is considered in determining eligibility for admission.

HPs may take individual courses such as the HP core, Regulations,

Dosimetry, Theory of Organizations, or the summer instrumentation course

without applying for admission to the program.  These courses teach

specific skills and can serve as preparation for the ABHP certification

exams.  However, only 6 semester hours taken this way may be applied to a

degree.  Also, up to 6 semester hours earned at an accredited college or

university may be transferable.  Students who do not wish to apply for

formal admission to the program for Fall, 2002 may  apply for Quick

Admission and take Fall classes.

Tuition for AY 2003 will be $610/credit hour.  The program is 32 credit

hours.  Limited financial aid may be available, particularly when a group

of several students are employed by a single organization that arranges to

meet administrative requirements, including payment of tuition and exam

proctoring, centrally.  Tuition may be deferred to the end of a semester to

enable a student to meet an employer's administrative requirements for

tuition reimbursement.