Re: My Whistleblower Case

Ruth,

Do you still think that the industry's faults are ancient history?

Do you still wonder why the public has no confidence in us?

After the next major DOE snafu, for which the taxpayers will foot the bill, will you still be saying it's a media conspiracy?

It's not about dose, it's about trust.
Let's look at the real problem, for a change.

Bill Lipton
liptonw@dteenergy.com

Janet Westbrook wrote:

RadSafe Folks --

I would like to tell you, my fellow rad protection professionals, of my experiences as a Department of Energy radiation protection whistleblower and to ask for your support in getting DOE to do more than mouth platitudes in regard to protecting whistleblowers. I was retaliated against for years because of my unwillingness to allow things to be swept under the rug and I was eventually laid off because of my disclosures. Because of the way DOE structures its legal system for whistleblowers, I had no recourse as far as the safety issues are concerned; I could only "sue" on the grounds of retaliation. I had a hearing before a DOE administrative law judge last August and in December he found against me. However, as explained below, this finding did not mean that my concerns were found to be unjustified or that I was not retaliated against, but only that the judge was persuaded that ORNL would have laid me off regardless of the validity of my concerns or the reality of my having made disclosures. (If this sounds like Alice in Wonderland to you, join the club.) My lawyer has just filed my appeal.

I have shifted from the legal arena to a "hearts and minds" campaign to communicate to DOE workers, my community, and most of all my fellow professionals what happened in my case and to demonstrate that DOE is not serious about safety and its whistleblower protection system is completely ineffective. So I would appreciate it if those of you who work in the DOE world would express concern to the local and Washington DOE people you know about my case and ask them to communicate their interest to their superiors as well. I would appreciate it if all of you, including those who don't work in the DOE world, would express interest in other ways, such as by postings on RadSafe and letters to your congressmen.

I think the issues that my case raises are important for those in our profession to consider. This is particularly true since DOE is both regulator and promoter of its activities and since they have made a commitment to protect safety whistleblowers. Whistleblower Joe Carson, who works for DOE itself, has called upon his professional society (engineers) to step up to the plate and support its members who make reasoned, documented disclosures regarding safety and are retaliated against for doing so. I would ask my professional societies, the Health Physics Society and the American Nuclear Society, to do that too.

I asked the local chapter of the Health Physics Society if I might give a talk about my experiences, including both the safety issues and the legal aspects. The president told me that the board is mulling it over, but at present they feel that the subject is "not of professional interest to the chapter" (!). He gave me to understand that they all felt that the subject was controversial and stated that even if I mentioned no names, there was the possibility of "slandering" someone who was recognizable by his title or position description. I realize that they don’t want to offend DOE or the ORNL contractor, UT-Battelle, but this seems overly deferential to me.

I have demonstrably fallen on my sword to uphold the integrity of the safety program at ORNL -- to ensure that laws were followed, that regulatory commitments were met, and that people were protected in consistent ways. I have clearly suffered for it. My last salary at ORNL was about $76,000/year, on a par with what others of my experience and education earn, per the most recent CHP salary survey. After being laid off, I was unemployed for 11 months, during which time I did temporary clerical work, tutored, and subbed at a college for an adjunct professor. During this time, I had three professional interviews in the first two months and only one (a non-DOE job) after that -- I believe that word got around and I was blacklisted from DOE work. Finally I got a job in the University of Tennessee Radiological Safety Department as a "radiological safety technologist"; this is a professional position requiring a degree and several years of experience, yet it is non-exempt and pays only $28,000/year due to the university's financial difficulties. (The only other professional of the total 4.5 people on staff is the RSO.) My husband was laid off from his non-DOE job of 11 years last June and only this week got a two-month contract job. We are trying to stay in this area another 18 months in order to allow our daughter, a junior, to graduate with her high school class. We are slowly drawing down our savings to supplement my income.

I summarize below the highlights of what happened when I worked at Oak Ridge National Laboratory. I add a few items on philosophical issues further down. I hope that you will all be minded to read to the end, so that you will have an understanding of what occurred and not dismiss this matter out of hand as a case of a "picky" person who didn't have a sense of proportion -- I believe that "the devil is in the details". Please note that nearly everything I say below was either supported by testimony during a retaliation hearing before a DOE judge or was in my complaint to DOE and was not refuted by my former employer. I have extensive documentation of virtually all of it, especially the technical issues (nearly all of which DOE professed no interest in seeing).

Should you wish to talk with me or ask questions about this, please send me an E-mail message at janet.westbrook@home.com. I would be happy to speak with any of you by phone -- just drop me a note and we can arrange it. I plan to write a book about my experiences and post it on a Web site. I hope you will all read it and discuss the issues I raise.