RE: Hormesis again?

Jim,

Since you asked, here are some thoughts on this new item.

Item: Microwave radiation used

Increased fertility in nematodes

Progeny are 10 larger.

Questions:

1.  What is the mechanism?  Genetic changes? Hormonal?

2.  What are the long term effects?  Early Death?  Are there developmental

abnormalities that may not be evident at the current investigational levels?

3.  Are the effects reversible?  If you stop irradiating with microwaves, do

fertility levels and size return to pre-irradiation levels?  Does it drop

due to affects on the immediate progeny, leading to smaller populations and

size in future generations?

4.  What are the effects of continuous irradiation over several generations?

Mutations or developmental abnormalities (both good and bad) that increase

in each future generation?

5.  In the natural or social sphere(?),  are more nematodes a good idea?

Less food for the individual ones?

6.  And, of course, what does this mean to humans and other higher life

forms.

And, as Michael Clark, of the National Radiological Protection Board said,

"However good it is, it needs to be replicated elsewhere."   I am always

skeptical of single study results.

Again, an interesting article that I am glad you could pass along.  You

obviously have more time to search for this information than I do.

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist

3050 Traymore Lane