RE: Article: How I set off the subway radiation meter

Hi -

Yes, I see what you're saying.  Thanks for the feedback.

-----Original Message-----

From: Sandy Perle [mailto:sandyfl@EARTHLINK.NET]

Sent: Saturday, February 02, 2002 4:05 AM

To: radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

Subject: RE: Article: How I set off the subway radiation meter

Hello Sarah,

> An aggressive effort

> to reduce patient dose might say to patients, who come from all walks

> of life and know about radiation from what they hear from their

> neighbors and the President - Radiation is dangerous; so dangerous

> that we have to take expensive administrative steps to reduce patient

> dose.

I agree with your basic premise. Where there is good, there will always be a

negative

component. In my opinion, what should be stressed is that there is a process

going

forward to reduce dose to the patient without adversely affecting the

diagnostic, or

therapeutic benefit. To present this to them in layman's terms, one could

say that the

desirable technique only requires a total dose to the patient of about 2.5

rem, and,

the facility is required to ensure that there is no excessive dose for the

specific

technique observed. If we present it in "we'll only give you what you need,

and no

more" that will make sense to a majority of the patients.H

Sandy Perle				Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100

Director, Technical			Extension 2306

ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Service	Fax:(714) 668-3149

ICN Pharmaceuticals, Inc.		E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net

ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue  	E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com

Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Personal Website: http://sandy-travels.com