RE: Steven Milloy

The response here is much too simplistic.

A couple of key differences you need to note:

1) I think that everybody on _Radsafe_, no matter what

their opinion on other issues, is scientifically savvy

enough to realize that smoking is the key cause of

lung cancer.  Steven Milloy is out in left field on

this issue; Radsafers [I think most everybody] are

not.

2) Steven Milloy's agenda is also weighted heavily in

favor of maximum use of fossil fuels.  He denies the

existence of risks from fossil fuels (and nuclear ones

and probably dam breaks also).  I believe that

everyone here on Radsafe is cognizant of risks from

different technologies and behaviors.  [I don't give

Milloy that credit].

However, I also believe that many on RadSafe are

interested in an honest comparative evaluation of

risks between technologies (nuclear vs. fossil),

rather than merely accepting a 'status quo.'  Milloy

isn't really interested in that.  Such a comparison of

risks may involve comparing and questioning actual vs.

assumed levels of risks, which is what Dr. Cohen did

in this article(*) some years ago.  This is also what

JM does.

Let's use a simple example of comparative evaluation

of risks.  We know that black lung is associated with

coal mining and we know that the high levels of radon

in uranium mining are hazardous.

If we know that both coal and uranium mining are

hazardous, and also assume that plentiful electricity

is beneficial to society, we should compare the

man-hours in the mine necessary to obtain one MWe

worth of fuel, along with the relative risk (RR) ratio

of each type of mining for early mortality from lung

disease.  I don't have these figures off the top

myself, but owing to the much greater energy density

of uranium, I would think they would favor nuclear for

overall reduced risk to miners, even if the risks from

the power plant part of the fuel cycles are omitted.

Here is a related tidbit: The central parts of

Kentucky and West Virginia (coal mine [and smoking]

country) have some of the lowest life expectancies in

the country.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/organizations/bdu/data/county.htm

One unrelated thing that I forgot to mention is that

it was good that Dr. Field published his 'null' result

with breast cancer.  Often times 'null' results do not

get published.

I guess what I'm trying to say in a roundabout way is

that 'name-calling' and 'quick, pat answers' don't

hold much water.  'Don,' if you are the scientist that

you say you are, even an anonymous one, you should

know better than to make overly simplistic posts like

this.  You should be more interested in subjects such

as comparative risk evaluation and should pursue them

instead.

~Ruth 2 aka Ruth Sponsler

==========================

REF.

Cohen BL.  1991  Catalog of risks extended and

updated.

Health Phys. 1991 Sep;61(3):317-335. Review.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov:80/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=1880022&dopt=Abstract

Cohen BL, Lee IS.  1979.  A catalog of risks.

 Health Phys. 1979 Jun;36(6):707-722. No abstract

available.

)

http://greetings.yahoo.com