CRTs and Radon Daughters Follow-up

AndrewsJP@aol.com wrote:

> First of all, don't be concerned.  The radiation at this level is

> immaterial, in fact it is on the screen, not in your lungs.  Think

> about it.  If you don't like it, wipe the screen with a sheet of that

> stuff you put in the dryer with the clothes to make them soft.  It

> will reduce the static and let you breath in more of the daughters.

> You might calculate the dose from the beta radiation to the skin of

> the face or to the eyes based on a reading at the position of the face

> and compare that to the permissible levels of radiation for

> occupational exposure. (Not really relevant, but a benchmark value.)

> If you do these things, let us know the results.

> John Andrews

> Knoxville, Tennessee

John, other Listmembers

I took a reading at face/eyes position and found it to be ~50uR.  With

continous occupational exposue this comes out to around 100mR/yr, so not

too much to be concerned about.

As others have suggested, I took a wipe of the screen and did a crude

plot of the decay.  It can bee seen at

http://personal.bellsouth.net/~psbax/decay.jpg

Thanks,

Preston Baxter