Re: ecological fallacy and the LNT

	If one assumes LNT, the "ecological fallacy" does not apply, and

either of your deductions is sound. If you do not assume LNT, there is no

useful meaning to collective dose, such as man-rem.

	The "ecological fallacy" comes into play if you are trying to find

a dose-response relationship for individuals, without prior prejudice

about the shape of the curve. As a simple example, if the dose-response

relationship is risk = 0 for dose less than D, and risk = R for dose

greater than D, the cancer rate in a county would depend on the fraction

of the population exposed to doses greater than D; if one uses

ecological data, one would assume that the cancer rate depends on the

average dose, which could be very different and therefore wrong. Doing the

latter is the ecological fallacy. Obviously, in this example, LNT is wrong

since there is a threshold. In my work, I assume LNT to test its validity.

	In recent years, many epidemiologists have stretched the

definition of the "ecological fallacy" to include treatment of confounding

factors. They point out that it is not correct to assume that confounding

effects depend on average values of variables. For example, if personal

income is an important confounding factor, one cannot assume that its

confounding effects are taken into account by use of average income for

the county; the confounding may depend on what fraction of the population

is very rich, or very poor. My methods of treating such problems are

explained in my paper on "Treatment of confounding factors in an

ecological study" which I sent you and which is posted on my web site.

Several other aspects of this extended definition of the ecological

fallacy are also treated there, and in my other papers.

Bernard L. Cohen

Physics Dept.

University of Pittsburgh

Pittsburgh, PA 15260