RE: Y-90

Unless I' mistaken, Bremsstrahlung is only created when the Beta is shielded

or interacts with a high Z material such as lead. But Beta radiation is

fairly easily shielded with aluminum or even paper, the exception being high

energy Beta's e.g. from Y-90. In this case a sheet of paper won't completely

shield them.

In certain circumstances I have been able to indirectly confirm the presence

of Sr/Y-90 in a sample using Gamma Energy Analysis. I did this by taking

into account a Bata dose rate from the sample and the absence of any lines

in the Gamma spectrum save for a large amount of "low energy pileup". The

low energy gammas in the spectrum are the Bremsstrahlung from the high

energy Beta's interacting with the lead shield around my detector. Hey, I

said it was indirect....

Hope this didn't add too much confusion to the conversation.

Claude W Landes, RRPT

Senior Radiological Controls Technician, Lead

ERC Radiological Counting Facility

Eberline Services Hanford Inc.

cwlandes@bhi-erc.com