Re: dose limits for members of the public

> The fallacy of this kind of argument is that if we set the limit at 5,

> then everybody will get 5. This is not the case in real life.

John,

I agree with what you said above. Prior to the 10CFR20 revision in January 1994 (formal

implementation - since some actually implemented in 1993), INPO pushed all utilities to

set a policy that no individual would ever exceed the 5 rem/yr. One caution we had was

that as average and mean dose decreased, there would be pressure to lower the limits

even further. This was under considerable evaluation. Fortunately, we in the US have

not gone as conservative as our European brethren. However, please go back and re-

read my initial posts. I said that let's assume that every individual does actually receive

the 5 rem, because Don states that individuals, be they workers or members of the

public, receiving 5 rem every year, there is no negative effect. In my opinion, there just

isn't any validation that this statement is accurate, one way or another.

Sandy Perle				Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100

Director, Technical			Extension 2306

ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Service	Fax:(714) 668-3149

ICN Pharmaceuticals, Inc.		E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net

ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue  	E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com

Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Personal Website: http://sandy-travels.com