From: Dave Derenzo [mailto:dave@UIC.EDU]

Sent: Wednesday, February 13, 2002 5:56 AM

To: radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

Subject: RE: Y-90

Claude et. al,

Bremmstrahlung x rays are created in all absorbers, but the amount of

energy converted increases with atomic number of the absorber.  The energy

of bremmstrahlung x rays is usually pretty low, usually under 100 keV.  The

formula for estimating bremms hazard from a beta emitter is given in

Cember's book (3rd Ed.) as:

fraction of energy converted into photons = 1.5 x E(-4) Z E(max), i.e.,

0.00015 ZE(max).

For production with monoenergetic electrons, such as in an x-ray tube, the

formula is given as:

fraction = 1 x 100(-4) ZE.  (that is 100 to the minus 4).

I would think the formula could be simplified to f = 0.01 ZE if I am

reading it correctly, someone pitch in if I am wrong.

Dave Derenzo, RSO

University of Illinois at Chicago

At 04:48 PM 2/12/02, Landes, Claude W wrote:

>Unless I' mistaken, Bremsstrahlung is only created when the Beta is

shielded

>or interacts with a high Z material such as lead. But Beta radiation is

>fairly easily shielded with aluminum or even paper, the exception being

high

>energy Beta's e.g. from Y-90. In this case a sheet of paper won't

completely

>shield them.

>In certain circumstances I have been able to indirectly confirm the

presence

>of Sr/Y-90 in a sample using Gamma Energy Analysis. I did this by taking

>into account a Bata dose rate from the sample and the absence of any lines

>in the Gamma spectrum save for a large amount of "low energy pileup". The

>low energy gammas in the spectrum are the Bremsstrahlung from the high

>energy Beta's interacting with the lead shield around my detector. Hey, I

>said it was indirect....

>Hope this didn't add too much confusion to the conversation.

>Claude W Landes, RRPT

>Senior Radiological Controls Technician, Lead

>ERC Radiological Counting Facility

>Eberline Services Hanford Inc.

>cwlandes@bhi-erc.com

emits

> >some significant gammas, I was even more surprised to hear him say Y-90

> >doesn't emit gammas. Rather than address it further in the meeting, I

>pulled

> >up Grove's (Kocher) decay program, which showed only two betas for Y-90;

no

> >gamma. But it then lists Y-90m w/ seven gammas ranging from about 2 keV

> >0.7 MeV. My day for surprises, I guess--I've always associated Y-90

gammas

> >w/ 2+ MeV. Sure enough, my 15th edition of the chart shows 202 keV and

2.2

> >and 2.3 MeV gammas. So, since I'm apparently not the brightest bulb in

the

> >lamp, can someone tell me why there's such a difference?

>Jack,

>I am not the brightest one in nuclear physics either (0.1 W), but I have

>worked as a radiochemist a lot with the analysis of Sr-90. Therefore I

think

>I can answer your question.

>First of all: yes, Sr-90 is a pure beta-emitter, therefore it cannot be

>measured by gamma-spectrometry like Cs-137, but needs time consuming and

>expensive chemical separation and special measurements methods - earlier

>Geiger- or proportional counters, nowadays liquid scintillation

spectrometry

>is the method of choice.

>Secondly: Y-90, the relatively short-lived daughter (about 64 hours), which

>therefore is very soon in equilibrium, is as well a pure beta-emitter, with

>relatively high beta - energy (about 2.3 Mev E-max). Y-90m is to my

>knowledge not part of the decay chain, Sr-90 decays directly to Y-90 (or

>maybe there is only a branch with an extremely low probability). Anyway

>there is no way to measure Sr-90 by gamma-spectrometry.

>Thirdly: To say, that you need not consider beta-emitters for shielding is

>surprising. You remember the story of the Sr-90 nuclear batteries in

Georgia

>recently? You cannot handle them with bare hands. Beta-particles have a

>certain range in air, if I remember correctly it is for a medium energy

>about 10 cm. So they have to be shielded. But when you shield them, there

>will be Bremsstrahlung created!  And since this is electromagnetic

radiation