FW: Additional info on plastic degradation

In a message dated 2/13/2002 8:25:45 AM Eastern Standard Time, cdguinn@sandia.gov writes:

Exactly what has happened.  For future reference we are trying to determine at what rad. level this weakening/brittleness begins to occur, so that we don't store items with those rad. levels in bags again.

Charlie

That being the case, just use 100K rad as the limit. This should be below the point of degradation for all plastics.  For higher levels, use paint cans. They seal tightly and do not degrade.  Do some research on the various plastic materials to permit for bagging higher levels and establish a rule so you don't get in trouble.

Best wishes.  By the way, you might post our private discussion on the RADSAFE list for others to see.

John Andrews
Knoxville, Tennessee