Re: Radon and Smoking

My point was addressing Kai's hypothesis that radon is lower in smokers' homes because they open their windows more.  But, if the difference in radon levels between smokers and non smokers homes decrease with increasing cigarette use, that does not support Kai's hypothesis.  The difference is probably due to the fact that urban dwellers have lower radon and also smoke more.

You may not have claimed that increased sample size eliminates biases in an ecologic study, but that has been inferred repeatedly by others on the list.

Bill Field

At 11:27 AM 2/14/2002 -0500, you wrote:

On Wed, 13 Feb 2002, Field, R. William wrote:

> Dr. Cohen,
>
> As I have stated before, validity of findings is not a matter of numbers.
> While I do not agree with all of NCRP No. 136, I do agree with the
> following quote from NCRP concerning the limitations of ecologic studies:
>
> "Use of large numbers of geographic regions will not do away with
> biases.  More observations will generally increase precision but have
> little or no impact on validity, i.e., the degree of bias."  In other other
> words the observation can be precisely wrong.

        --I have never claimed that good statistics eliminates bias; the
two have nothing to do with each other.

> What I find interesting is this quote in your 1991 paper:
>
> "The results in Tables 2 and 3 clearly indicate that households with
> cigarette smokers have substantial lower Rn levels then others, but for
> some strange reason it seems that the difference decreases with increasing
> number of cigarette smoked.  It should be noted that from those tables that
> only 17% of all people who purchased Rn measurements have smoked in their
> households, whereas 33% of American adults are smokers."

        --It is not clear to me what you are trying to prove here.

************************************************************************ You are currently subscribed to the Radsafe mailing list. To unsubscribe, send an e-mail to Majordomo@list.vanderbilt.edu Put the text "unsubscribe radsafe" (no quote marks) in the body of the e-mail, with no subject line. You can view the Radsafe archives at http://www.vanderbilt.edu/radsafe/