From: John Moulder [mailto:jmoulder@MCW.EDU]

Sent: Thursday, February 14, 2002 8:37 AM

To: radsafe-digest@list.vanderbilt.edu

Subject: Treatment of radiation accident/terrorism victims

Just released on the U.S. National Cancer Institute website

<http://www3.cancer.gov/rrp/moderate.pdf>

"Molecular and Cellular Biology of Moderate Dose Radiation and

Potential Mechanisms of Radiation Protection"

"Normal tissue radiation response and injury after exposure to

ionizing radiation are of great importance to patients with cancer,

populations potentially exposed to military, accidental or

intentional exposure... A scientific workshop was convened to address

the recent scientific progress in molecular, cellular and whole

animal radiobiology, biodosimetry, and current and future treatments

to prevent or ameliorate radiation damage to normal tissues."

My words:  Basically this is an outline of what we know about the

possible consequences of nuclear terrorism, what we could do now to

treat victims of nuclear terror, and what we could develop in the

short (less than 1 year) or long-term (3-5 years) to improve our

ability to treat such victims.

--

John Moulder (jmoulder@mcw.edu)

Radiation Oncology