Re: [rad-sci-l] New paper on beneficial effects of WBI in mice

Howard, Bill Field,

 From: hflong@postoffice.pacbell.net

> This did not download for me, Jim.

> Would you relay it, e-mail?

> Howard Long

> Muckerheide wrote:

>> Friends,

>> A new paper has been received from our friends Kojima, Yamaoka, Ishida and

>> Takahashi further confirming their evidence on the beneficial responses in

>> whole-body-irradiated mice.

>> Your comments are most welcome.

>> Regards, Jim Muckerheide

>> =======================

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov:80/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list

_uids=11839089&dopt=Abstract

Note that your email reader "broke" the URL (some do, some don't).

You can copy/paste the broken end

( _uids=11839089&dopt=Abstract ) onto the URL beginning:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov:80/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list

in your browser address window.

However:

 Radiat Res 2002 Mar;157(3):275-280    Related Articles, Books, LinkOut

Elevation of Glutathione Induced by Low-Dose Gamma Rays and its Involvement

in Increased Natural Killer Activity.

Kojima S, Ishida H, Takahashi M, Yamaoka K.

Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Tokyo University of Science, Noda-shi,

Chiba 278-0022, Japan;; Author to whom correspondence should be addressed at

Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Tokyo University of Science, Noda-shi,

Chiba 278-0022, Japan; kjma@rs.noda.sut.ac.jp

Kojima, S., Ishida, H., Takahashi, M. and Yamaoka, K. Elevation of

Glutathione Induced by Low-Dose Gamma Rays and its Involvement in Increased

Natural Killer Activity. Radiat. Res. 157, 275[?]--[?]280 (2002).We examined

the relationship between the induction of an increase in the level of

glutathione and the elevation of natural killer (NK) activity in mouse

splenocytes by a low dose of [gamma] rays. The glutathione levels in mouse

splenocytes increased significantly between 2 h and 6 h after whole-body

[gamma] irradiation at 0.5 Gy, peaked at 4 h, and then decreased almost to

the level before irradiation by 12 h postirradiation. A significant

enhancement of NK activity was found in the splenocytes obtained from

whole-body-irradiated mice between 4 and 6 h postirradiation. Reduced

glutathione (GSH) added exogenously to splenocytes obtained from normal mice

enhanced both the total cellular glutathione content and the NK activity in

a dose-dependent manner. Other precursors of de novo GSH synthesis, such as

cysteine, N-acetylcysteine and oxidized glutathione, also increased the

activity. These enhancements were completely blocked by buthionine

sulfoximine, an inhibitor of de novo GSH synthesis. We conclude that the

induction of endogenous glutathione in living cells immediately after

low-dose [gamma] irradiation is at least partially responsible for the

appearance of enhanced NK activity.

Regards, Jim