BNL Deer

64 lbs of deer at 21 pCi/g is 0.62 uCi (yes, I am assumming pCi/g, as it is the conventional units).  If a person consumed the deer meat, the resulting effective dose would be approx. 30 mrem, using ICRP-68 or FGR-11 dose factors.

This activity level in deer is not extraordinary and is comparable to what is occasionally found in deer and wildlife at other DOE sites. It is not a licensable quantity nor would consumption exceed 100 mrem. Hence, there is probably not a violation for a hunter to possess or consume 64 lbs of meat.

In my opinion, the quotation is not factual. "Eating the deer meat poses a health risk to humans," Green said. "But you would have to consume almost 64 pounds of it. That's not likely to happen."

It is these kind of statements in the media that give the industry a bad name and the impression of DEADLY RADIATION. We should all carefully consider the implications when talking to the media. We have a hard enough time with the likes of UNPLUG SALEM, lets not complicate matters ourselves.

Brian Keele

************************************************************************ You are currently subscribed to the Radsafe mailing list. To unsubscribe, send an e-mail to Majordomo@list.vanderbilt.edu Put the text "unsubscribe radsafe" (no quote marks) in the body of the e-mail, with no subject line. You can view the Radsafe archives at http://www.vanderbilt.edu/radsafe/