Re: Radon and Smoking (individual vs aggregate)

	What I don't understand about all this is that if the problem

arises as Dr.Field suggests, why is it not possible to postulate a

specific joint distribution which can reproduce Dr.Cohen's reults?. For

example let us say a bivariate lognormal distribution could be used with

adjustable parameters varied to fit the data.

	Perhaps I am just too simple minded. I have always felt as an

experimentalist that data is sacrosanct and cannot be ignored. So I

believe it is incumbent upon the supporters of the LNT to devise a

quantitative model which reproduces that data, within statistics. Again as

an experimentalist I do not feel that it is a prerequisite that I be able

to explain my data, but that everyone with a theory must take it into

account.

Bill Prestwich

McMaster University

Hamilton, Ontario