Re: Meeting public demand

    I agree that although  democracy may be the best form of government, it

has certain faults. For example, should a benevolent democratic government

give the public what it wants, or what is best for them? It takes a

particularly courageous politician or bureaucrat to do the latter knowing

that would be unpopular.

    In the BRC case, my complaint with the NRC is simply that they were

deceitful (implicitly perhaps, but nevertheless deceitful). By sponsoring

very expensive scientific research programs ostensibly to support their

regulatory efforts, they convey the erroneous impression to the public that

their regulations are scientifically based. If, in fact, their regulations

are simply intended to reflect the public will , that should be explicitly

stated, and any research should be directed toward determining the nature of

regulations that would be popular with the most people. Such a direct

approach would be a lot more efficient and cheaper. All I am asking for is

some honesty and integrity. Is that too much?

    Could it also be that fear of incurring public disfavor is what

motivates ICRP & NCRP to  perpetuate LNT, ALARA, and similar policies?

Although it is unlikely they would be voted out of office, their sources of

funding might certainly be endangered were they to change their course of

action.