From: Jack_Earley@RL.gov [mailto:Jack_Earley@RL.gov]

Sent: Thursday, March 07, 2002 6:38 PM

To: jmuckerheide@cnts.wpi.edu; Jacobus, John (OD/ORS);

radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

Subject: RE: ARTICLE: Fallout likely caused 15,000 deaths

I have this bad habit of connecting various pieces and trying to see how

they fit together. So now we have J.J. Rozental's comment, "Problems

affecting protection and safety be promptly identified and corrected in a

manner commensurate with their importance," and wondering how that isn't a

contradiction of ALARA itself. And I see the 4 mrem/y limit for Yucca Mt and

compare it to the 50 rem/y limit for astronauts, and I'm pretty much left

just scratching my head. I think I'll just go catch my flight and hope for a

random solar flare.

Jack Earley

Radiological Engineer