Re: ARTICLE: Fallout likely caused 15,000 deaths

John Jacobus writes:

> However, there are events that trigger a psychological response in some people that does not go away.
>...The trauma is that the fear response does not go away, and interferes with normal life.

My (layman's) theory is that this kind of chronic fear could cause a general depression of the body systems, which may lower the efficiency of cellular repair processes, leading to incomplete or no repair of some DNA damage (which as we know is being caused many times each day in each cell, by many agents, radiation being probably one of the very minor players). If true, it suggests that irresponsible fear mongering over radiation may be responsible for far more cancers than any fallout or nuclear plant releases, even using the LNT model. If this theory is at all credible, I see major class action suits in the future against major media organizations and well funded anti-nuke groups by cancer victims and their families, similar to those currently being brought against the tobacco industry. We could develop probability of causation tables based on age, gender, TV viewing habits, etc. Hey, who's to say that stress induced by CBS and/or Greenpeace did NOT cause my cancer? I want a sack of money now, please.

Mike

Michael G. Stabin, PhD, CHP
Assistant Professor of Radiology and Radiological Sciences
Department of Radiology and Radiological Sciences
Vanderbilt University
1161 21st Avenue South
Nashville, TN 37232-2675
Phone (615) 343-0068