Re: Biomedical Research/carbon 14

The works by M. Calvin (photosynthesis) or H.A. Krebs (1900-1981, citric

acid cycle) could give some initial ideas - and probably upper limits (the

detection systems are better today):

M. Calvin and J.A. Bassham: The Photosynthesis of carbon compounds,

Benjamin, New York, 1962.

H.A. Krebs and J.M. Lowenstein, The Tricarboxylic Acid Cycle, in D.M.

Greenberg (ed.), Metabolic PAthways, Vol. I, Academic Press, New York, 1960,

p. 129.

H. Krebs, The History of the Tricarboxylic Acid Cycle, Perspect. Biol. Med.,

14: 154-170 (1970). From:

http://www.ruf.rice.edu/~bioslabs/studies/mitochondria/krebs.html

Then look for references therein - or try any other path to works by Melvin

Calvin (1950:ies) or Hans Krebs (1930-40:ies) directly.

I think that the amounts or concentrations of C-14 may vary much (orders of

magnitudes) depending on the contexts (How many cells will be used? How many

molecules can be expected to be radiolabeled?). Many pulsed field gel

electrophoresis, PFGE (labeling of DNA) have included C-14 labeled DNA -

typically to label 200 000 cells or more per sample that is analyzed. Lots

of old molecular genetics experiments (phages, bacteria stuff from the

1950-60:ies) included C-14. The cell cycle has often been followed with C-14

thymidine for the labeling of  DNA in the replication/duplication phase).

For DNA labeling (PFGE) the order of 0.3 - 1.0 kBq per of medium may be the

approx. amount.

Many others can probably give more precise and direct examples.

Bjorn Cedervall   bcradsafers@hotmail.com

http://www.geocities.com/bjorn_cedervall/