From: Jerry Cohen [mailto:jjcohen@PRODIGY.NET]

Sent: Tuesday, April 02, 2002 7:29 PM

To: Franz Schoenhofer; radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

Subject: Re: Krypton-85

Franz,

    Thank you for the information on current Kr-85 release practices. My

curiosity was aroused recently when , while rummaging through some old

files, I found a paper on the subject that I gave at a 1973 conference on

the noble gases. This paper indicated that Kr-85 release might be the most

serious radiological consequence of the nuclear fuel cycle. I had predicted

that assuming reasonably ambitious development of nuclear power, including

fuel reprocessing, total release of Kr-85 to the atmosphere would result in

an average global dose of about 0.1 mrem/a by year 2000. Assuming a world

population of ~2 billion, the collective dose would be ~200,000 person-rem

per year. A criticism of the approach was that it was like multiplying zero

times infinity and assuming the result to be meaningful.

    Back then I was naive enough to believe that LNT might actually be a

reasonable concept. Of course, I  no longer believe in LNT, but I still

think that those who do believe in LNT ought to worry about Kr-85 releases

to the atmosphere. Apparently, they don't.              Jerry