Land of the Free. Home of the Brave. Shhhh, don't tell anyone ....

http://tm0.com/siliconprairie/sbct.cgi?s=115420336&i=494305&m=1&d=2498377

The editorial hyperlinked above concerns the renewed secrecy thrust by

the federal government. I won't inflict the content on all of you, but I

hope many of you will read it and convey your thoughts about the issue

to your members of congress and to others who might openly object to

this foolishness. Along with the editorial, below is the accompanying

email sent to mine. Just one recent example might be found in the

discussion of the West Wing show; I'm sure there are plenty of folks who

would advocate that all discussion of the tunnels on the interstate

system be terminated immediately. After all, that location information

could be useful to terrorists - as could just the very idea that the

tunnels might be juicy targets. Of course they might, but just what

level of ignorance do we attribute to terrorists? Do we have

imaginations, but they don't?   Sigh ....

_________________

Dear President Bush:

Dear Senator Gramm:

Dear Senator Hutchison

Dear Congresswoman Granger:

I hope you will not be offended by sending the same item to all four of

you, but my beliefs in how each of you should respond to this issue are

the same for each of you. The Administration is MISTAKEN! The editorial

below says very well what is wrong and what is the proper solution. Mr.

President, this action by your Administration is so misguided that it is

almost laughable. A serious side of it, however, is that you provide the

ideal "hidie-hole" for concealing all mistakes and wrong-doing that

might be dreamed up by all people in government.

I am sorry, but you are taking a serious step in the direction of a

totalitarian government. These restrictions are neither the actions of

those in the land of the free nor those living in the home of the brave.

This is hunker down in your little hole and don't let anyone see what

you are or are not doing for fear that someone might have a better idea.

The gain in homeland security is negligible; the loss to freedom and of

shared, independent, original thought is huge!

Mr. President, you are mistaken. I hope that the three of you in the

Congress will force the frightened narrow minds in the Administration to

return to freedom.

Sincerely yours,

Cheers,

Maury Siskel               maury@webtexas.com