Re: MRFA

"The Yucca Mountain EIS analyzes what we called the "maximum reasonably foreseeable accident"  -- an accident that has a conditional probability (conditional on there being an accident at all) of 1E-7 or greater"

Ruth,
    No matter how you slice it, the "maximum reasonably  foreseeable accident" (MRFA) is largely dependant upon the imagination of the analyst. Considering 1E-7 probabilities there is not, nor can there be  any experience  to guide judgment. The probability of a meteoric impact that destroys the entire planet may be higher than that.
    If I can use 1E-7 probabilities, and you tell me the consequence you want, I will give you a scenario to achieve that result. The determination of MRFA depends primarily on who happens to do the forseeing.