Re: Davis-Besse corrosion?

You are correct in that boric acid is dilluted in the

RCS as a chemical shim for long-term reactivity

management.  It is not a fission product.

As far as steam slicing through the RPV, that would

not explain why the stainless steel was not attacked.

Also, examination of the surface area of the exposed

carbon steel would clue one in on the destructive

mechanism.

I would think that the steam would cut the head like a

knive instead of essentially carving out a rectangular

area from the head.  In addition, I doubt anyone

washes their eyes with 600 deg. boric acid and as

temperature goes up, so do corrosion rates with many

acids.  I'm not an expert in corrosion mechanics of

carbon steel vs. high temp boric acid so this is just

a guess based on my knowledge of how other acids

behave.

A SEM of the exposed surface of the RPV head would

pretty much answer these types of questions.

Regards,

Tim Steadham

http://taxes.yahoo.com/