Re: submarines and Norm

You raise an excellent point.  There has been little, if any public opposition

to the Nuclear Navy, at least in the U.S.  Why?  Maybe it's because the Navy

has a whole different attitude regarding RP.  It's simple in concept, often

tough to implement, but amazingly effective.  It's: take every photon

seriously; build an adequate margin of safety into your designs and

procedures; zero tolerance for anyone, no matter how "important," who does not

follow the rules; and learn from your mistakes.

If the DOE and NRC (aka the old AEC) had adopted and enforced this philosophy,

I'm sure that we would not be facing the present level of pubilc opposition.

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Bill Lipton

liptonw@dteenergy.com