From: AIP listserver [mailto:fyi@aip.org]

Sent: Tuesday, April 16, 2002 9:48 AM

To: fyi-mailing@aip.org

Subject: FYI #45 - O'Keefe Vision Statement

FYI

The American Institute of Physics Bulletin of Science Policy News

Number 45: April 16, 2002

O'Keefe Presents His Vision for NASA

Several months into his tenure as NASA Administrator, Sean

O'Keefe laid out his vision for the space agency in an April 12

speech.  O'Keefe spoke at Syracuse University's Maxwell School of

Citizenship and Public Affairs, where he earned his Master's

degree in public administration and later taught. . . .

. . .

The full speech, which runs about 17 pages, is available at

http://www.nasa.gov/bios/vision.html.  While this speech does not

go into detail about how he plans to address the space station's

cost difficulties, O'Keefe has previously testified on this

subject before Congress (see FYI #28).

. . .

"As I've been telling you today, NASA has to do things

differently in the future. One fundamental difference is a need

to find new ways to explore the galaxy.  Conventional rockets and

fuel simply aren't practical as we reach further out into the

cosmos. That's why we are launching an initiative to explore the

use of nuclear propulsion....  The technology is there. We just

need to take it to the next step to increase speed and on-orbit

time, thereby beginning to overcome this persistent technical

limitation.  If we're going to pioneer the future as only NASA

can, we're going to need new ways to get us there."

. . .