Re: ABCNEWS.com: Hundreds of Radioactive Devices Missing

 From: "Gerald Nicholls" <GNICHOLL@dep.state.nj.us>

> The boy did not steal the signs.  He was walking past a demolition site near

> his home and found 3 tritium exit signs in the debris.  He took them home,

called stealing

> reportedly to illuminate posters on the walls of his basement level bedroom.

> After partially disassembling the signs and apparently breaking  one or more

> of the tubes, he contacted local officials because he was concerned about the

> radiation symbols he found on the signs.  Analysis of his urine showed a TEDE

> of about 80 mrem.  It probably would not have been nearly this high if he

> hadn't been in a basement level room (relatively low ventilation) and hadn't

> been snacking while working on the signs.

> About $100,000 in clean up, disposal and temporary relocation costs for the

> family were paid by the state's Spill Fund.  Salary costs of the people from

wasted

> the various local, state and national agencies that worked on the incident are

> not included in this figure.  I was told by a reporter that the $200,000

> figure came  "from the NRC".   The salary figure would have been significant

> but would not have reached an additional $100,000.  Agencies involved in

maybe, if done by us cost-effective state employees, but at NRC's charges

per hour? and how many high-cost HQ hours get loaded on the hours of the

people doing the "work?"  EPA different? wouldn't seem likely :-)

> responding to the incident included the NRC, USEPA, Brookhave NL, Oak Ridge

> NL, Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory, local school officials, local police,

> local fire department, local health department, state health department and

> state environmental protection.

good grief :-(   unconscionable!

> The root cause of the incident was that the company that owned the signs did

> not maintain adequate control over them and did not dispose of them properly.

No. Root cause is gross ignorance by regulators.

Regards, Jim