Re: Article: "Fatal crash on likely nuclear waste route"

Maury, Jim, good letters.

My first reaction to the piece was similar to Jim's remarks about the

trajedy of this accident being used for such a purpose.  Some dearly

loved person died in an accident, and this is what his death brought

forth?  Why not an outcry for tougher seatbelt laws, or better restraint

systems, or lower speed limits, flamable materials transport standards,

etc.?  Too mundane, I suppose.

It amazes me how someone can take a FATAL accident as an example, spin

up a hypothetical scenario about radioactivity being dispersed into the

environment from such an accident and have the unmitigated gall to say

"That would be a truly nasty scenario".

The story was so fresh they hadn't even identified the material or

determined the condition of the truck driver (or just as likely, that

didn't matter to them), but that didn't keep them from spin-doctoring a

political ad.

--

Keith Welch

welch@jlab.org