South Carolina

I think Hodges has taken a lesson from former Idaho governor Andrus who

threatened the same sort of thing (physically blocking waste shipments into

Idaho) until DOE agreed to cleanup some of the waste already here.  It

worked in the sense that that led to the so-called legal Governor's

Agreement that commits DOE to all sorts of things over many decades - and -

it seemed to increase Andrus's popularity.  In fact, Andrus (democrat) was

succeeded by Batt (republican), who continued the approach and negotiations

until the Governor's Agreement was completed.  It failed in the sense that

it has soured the state and relations among DOE, the Idaho National

Engineering and Environmental Laboratory (INEEL), and Idaho.  I can't say

whether (in hindsight) we'd be better off with or without Andrus' tactics.

As a former resident of South Carolina, I do have to point out that South

Carolinians have a long, proud history of telling the federal government to

go to hell.  I seem to recall a little fort off the Charleston coast and a

disagreement that some call the war of yankee aggression.  Hodges might be

the first SC governor since those days to threaten to use state troops to

oppose a federal action.  The last such disagreement was pretty ugly.

Idaho does not have that long a history, but it does tend to view the

federal government as a LONG way away, populated by people who don't have a

clue about where Idaho is or what Idahoans value.  Such feelings tend to

invite state politicians to feel safe in doing what Andrus did or Hodges is

doing.

Dr. Steven J. Piet

Consulting Engineer

Human Systems Engineering Dept

Idaho National Engineering and Environmental Laboratory (INEEL)

P.O. Box 1625, Mail Stop 3605

Idaho Falls, ID 83415-3605

Phone: 208-526-5252

Email: pietsj@inel.gov