Re: Is Yucca Mountain the only way?

    I think that I am about as pro-nuclear as anyone, but would certainly

not be heartbroken if the Yucca Mountain Project (YMP) was abandoned! It's

not that nuclear waste is too dangerous to be dealt with as planned by YMP.

Quite the opposite-- I have no doubt that YMP could and would be conducted

safely. However, the risks of managing nuclear waste have been hyped beyond

all reality by anti-nuke forces as well as by various groups within the

scientific community looking to make $$$ out of the problem. Public fears

have been shamelessly exploited and inflamed in the process. This process

has made YMP egregiously expensive. Why not make the anti-nukes and citizens

of Nevada happy and drop the whole thing? Why throw good money after bad?

    Of course we would still have to deal with the accumulated nucwaste and

that yet to be produced. No big urgency- we can extend onsite storage

capacity for a while until we can get our act together and resolve handle

the problem in the safest and most economic manner possible. That way would,

IMHO, be fuel reprocessing and oceanic disposal of the resultant waste. The

main obstacle would likely be  public opposition to "polluting the ocean".

For what it is worth, it can be scientifically shown that the effects of

such pollution would be trivial. Nonetheless, stiff opposition to ocean

disposal would certainly occur, but then again, look at how well the public

seems to be embracing YMP. When all else fails, perhaps logic and reason may

yet prevail.