Re: FLYOVER SHOWS INDIAN POINT'S A SITTING DUCK

>>local residents weren't informed for quite some time. If they had

 >> been told, and evacuated, the effects would have been reduced

 >> significantly.

 > What effects?

 > ---

 > About 2000 children (Chernobyl) got thyroid cancer - at least about 30 of

 > them died and at least about 100 have chronic problems and cannot be

treated

 > properly.

 > My personal comment only,

 > Bjorn Cedervall   bcradsafers@hotmail.com

Not true. The few (1800, about 1 in 100,000 exposed persons) thyroid cancers

are not "local residents." Association with dose is weak.  No  associated

deaths. (The 3 deaths first identified in the 10-year update were shown to

---

>>local residents weren't informed for quite some time. If they had

 >> been told, and evacuated, the effects would have been reduced

 >> significantly.

 > What effects?

 > ---

 > About 2000 children (Chernobyl) got thyroid cancer - at least about 30 of

 > them died and at least about 100 have chronic problems and cannot be

treated properly.

------

OK - I agree that most of them were not _local_ residents (It seems like you

are trying to do a propagandistic trick by referring to a lower population -

while the risk per unit radioiodine can be expected to be the same for young

children).

The statistics for the larger - more distant surrounding areas is very

convincing however - very low incidence up until around 1989/90 and then the

incidence shoots up very strongly.

Some chromosome damage (lymphocytes, light microscopic level) has also been

seen among the clean-up workers,

http://www.hotmail.com