Re: Chernobyl remembered - article

Hi Jim, my recollection without tracking it down again was about 30 fatalities as a

direct immediate result of the explosion and then about 70 more (mainly) among the

cleanup and remediation workers. I thought the source is UNSCEAR 2000. The same

source gave about 1800 cases of thyroid cancer -- none fatal as of a year ago, all

treatable, and confined principally to those who were babies and very young children

at the time. Thus I "latched onto" 30-70-1800 numbers. Even at this, I think the

human animal continues to acquit itself rather well. And it is gratifying that there

was no worldwide feeding frenzy this year on the Chernobyl anniversary.

Norm, I'm sorry that you choose to burden yourself with the "thousands", but that is

of course your choice. And I must add to you that I would not bother any more to see

anything written by Dr. Bertell - she is completely beyond the pale in my opinion.

Any of Robert Heinlein's works are far more useful and valuable.

Cheers,

Maury              maury@webtexas.com

===================================

muckerheide wrote:

>  From: maury <maury@WEBTEXAS.COM>

> > At least so far this is the first propagation of this 15 to 30 thousand deaths

> > fairy tale that I have noted for the 16th anniversary of Chernobyl. Here is a

> Maury, Where do you find 100?  I expect deaths in high-dose cleanup workers,

> but no sound estimates. Follow-up of hospitalizations for ARS (acute rad

> syndrome - about 207? I'd have to look it up at the moment) didn't show

> excess deaths, but some could perhaps be attributed. Non-ARS high-dose group

> has some leukemia deaths, but not significant, though actual cases may show

> highest doses that may be attributable).

> Thanks.

> Regards, Jim

> > gratuitous unattributed claim of thousands more having perished. Surely

> > it would be interesting to learn exactly how this "estimate" was made and by

> > whom? Norm, can you shed any light on this? You posted the article on Radsafe

> > as well as on Salem and Know Nukes - do you personally afford this claim

It is the soldier, not the lawyer, who has given us the right to

a fair trial.                                Charles M. Province