Re: FLYOVER SHOWS INDIAN POINT'S A SITTING DUCK

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----

Von: Tim <tstead@ntirs.org>

An: radsafe <radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu>

Datum: Sonntag, 28. April 2002 22:14

Betreff: Re: FLYOVER SHOWS INDIAN POINT'S A SITTING DUCK

>Just out of curiosity, were you implying that

>radiation can cause a myocardial infarction (MI)?  I

>always thought that an MI was due to restricted

>cardiac arteries as a result of a thrombus (such as

>plaque - e.g. arthlerosclerotic coronary artery

>disease) thereby decreasing the blood flow to the

>myocardium and resulting in an infarct (e.g. heart

>attack).

>Or was this just a general discussion of how someone

>could be harmed from something and not necessarily

>limited to harm from radiation?

No, I was not implying, that radiation could be the direct cause of a

myocardial infarction - unfortunately I have had to inform me carefully

about this topic. My comment was clearly directed to the definition of

harm - and that harm does not only mean death. Harm can also be, if you have

to leave your home, if you loose your social connections, if you cannot live

and behave the way you used to do. That such stress can also cause clinical

illness is on the other side well known - starting from alcoholism even to

cardiac infarction. The social disaster and most of the health problems

after the Chernobyl accident were caused by the situation after the accident

and not the radiation. That the thyroid problems of children were caused by

I-131 and its radiation is a fact, which probably only a few real hardliners

dispute.

Best regards,

Franz