Re: Nukes close, infant deaths go down - Tooth Fairy Project -NY Times

This is the same  misinformation and manipulation of information that has been put forth by RHP project and Sternglass et al for the last several years.   This was published in the Sacramento Bee, April 27, 2000, in response to claims on infant mortality and Rancho Seco.  I think this says it all.  and if nuclear power is so darned awful and harming babies...why is the infant mortality rate in France about ½ of what it is here in the United States???  France is about 80% nuclear...lots of reactors in that country....just a thought. maybe French radiation isn't as harmful as US radiation.  maybe its the wine.

                    Rancho Seco hurt kids,  disputed  study claims:  Low-level radiation's  effect debated

                    By Carrie Peyton

                    Bee Staff Writer

                    (Published April

                    27, 2000)

                    A national

                    anti-nuclear drive

                    has seized on

                    Rancho Seco to

                    make the argument

                    that living near a

                    nuclear plant is bad

                    for your children's

                    health.

                    The campaign --

                    launched

                    Wednesday with

                    help from

                    supermodel

                    Christie Brinkley

                    and the consumer

                    group Public

                    Citizen -- hinges on

                    a new study whose

                    scope and design

                    already are

                    drawing sharp

                    criticism.

                    The study

                    examines a theory that long exposure

                    to very low-level radiation, far below

                    the amounts federal officials deem

                    safe, can cause health problems

                    serious enough to raise childhood

                    cancer and infant mortality rates.

                    A researcher for the Radiation and

                    Public Health Group, which devotes

                    itself to exploring low-level radiation

                    effects, believes Rancho Seco is

                    helping prove the theory.

                    His editor says the link is clear and

                    certain.

                    But local experts, who are not

                    associated with the nuclear industry,

                    say it is "terrible" science.

                    "I'm surprised it's even published," said

                    Marc Schenker, chairman of the

                    epidemiology and preventive medicine

                    department of the UC Davis School of

                    Medicine.

                    The shortcomings, according to

                    Schenker and other experts, are that

                    the study offers no basis for its

                    conclusions, looks at the wrong

                    regions, covers too short a time period

                    and uses illogical comparisons.

                    The study by researcher Joseph

                    Mangano appears in "Environmental

                    Epidemiology and Toxicology," a

                    quarterly, peer-reviewed academic

                    journal with about 250 paid

                    subscribers. The journal is edited by

                    two professors at the University of

                    Texas Medical Branch in Galveston,

                    and printed by Nature Publishing

                    Group, which also publishes Nature

                    magazine.

                    Mangano, whose academic training

                    includes a bachelor's degree in public

                    health and a master's in business,

                    used public health records from the

                    World Wide Web to examine counties

                    near closed nuclear plants.

                    He focused on Rancho Seco, he said,

                    because it had the largest population,

                    was the longest-closed plant, and was

                    farthest away from other nuclear

                    plants. He did similar but far less

                    detailed comparisons of

                    neighborhoods near closed plants in

                    Colorado, Connecticut, Oregon and

                    Wisconsin.

                    His conclusion was that infant mortality

                    rates dropped faster than the U.S.

                    average within the two years after

                    each plant closed.

                    In the Sacramento region, Mangano

                    singled out four counties for study:

                    Sacramento, Amador, El Dorado and

                    Placer, writing that their residents

                    would be "at greatest risk of adverse

                    health effects from radioactive

                    releases."

                    That was his first mistake, said Tom

                    Cahill, an expert on tracking Central

                    Valley pollution through the wind and

                    rain.

                    "Sacramento is both upwind and

                    upstream from the releases of Rancho

                    Seco," said Cahill, a UC Davis

                    atmospheric sciences professor.

                    Prevailing winds would generally carry

                    any Rancho Seco air emissions to the

                    east, away from Sacramento County,

                    he said.

                    Storms would generally deposit any

                    waterborne emissions well to the

                    south, probably not affecting drinking

                    water north of Yosemite.

                    Mangano acknowledges that

                    Sacramento County -- where he

                    estimates three-quarters of the

                    population he studied lives -- is not

                    "technically" downwind of Rancho

                    Seco.

                    He included Sacramento County

                    because it was so close to Rancho

                    Seco, and because it draws drinking

                    water from Folsom Lake, which he

                    theorized would have gotten

                    storm-carried emissions from the

                    nuclear plant.

                    Mangano compared 1988-89, the last

                    two years of Seco's life and 1990-91,

                    the two full years after it closed.

                    In the four counties near Rancho Seco,

                    he found: Infant death rates dropped

                    15.7 percent at a time when the

                    average U.S. decline was 8.1 percent.

                    Death rates in children aged 1-4 from

                    causes other than accidents, homicide

                    and suicide dropped 20.6 percent

                    compared to an average national

                    decline of 5.1 percent. Cancer cases

                    in children 4 and younger dropped

                    37.2 percent at a time when such

                    cancers nationwide increased by 6.2

                    percent.

                    Mangano said those changes are

                    "strong evidence" that closing a

                    nuclear plant is linked to improvements

                    in children's health.

                    But similar improvements did not

                    emerge during the 27 months in the

                    late 1980s when Rancho Seco was

                    closed for repairs. In fact, infant

                    mortality steadily worsened, Mangano

                    said in an interview.

                    He did not include those statistics in

                    his study, he said, because they

                    weren't relevant given the pattern at all

                    five nuclear plants.

                    UC Davis' Schenker said Mangano's

                    research is so flawed that concluding

                    Rancho Seco had any impact on health

                    is like saying that cell phone use

                    causes Alzheimer's because both are

                    increasing.

                    Among his concerns: There was no

                    attempt to look at comparable areas

                    without nuclear plants, and no effort to

                    track health data over all the years the

                    plants were open. There was no effort

                    to examine or exclude other possible

                    factors, such as Sacramento's growth

                    or large immigrant population. And

                    there was no indication the counties

                    chosen for study got any radiation

                    exposures from Rancho Seco.

                    "This is a low-quality study," he said. "I

                    realize it's catchy and it gets Christie

                    Brinkley on the case, but ... to take

                    this and reach conclusions regarding

                    Rancho Seco is not scientifically

                    supportable."

                  Problems? Suggestions? Let us hear from you. / Copyright ©

                  The Sacr

Patricia A. Milligan, RPh.,CHP

USNRC

301-415-2223

>>> William V Lipton <liptonw@DTEENERGY.COM> 05/01/02 12:05PM >>>

Unlike some Radsafers, my comments are quite printable, and I hope that they are

widely printed.

Many thanx for bringing this article to my attention.  When I was growing up, in

Long Branch, NJ, the NY Times was probably one of the many advantages of living

in the NYC area.  This is a well written and well balanced article, although

those who don't read beyond the headline may get the wrong impression.

I especially encourage you to look at the work of John Boice, who is quoted,

here.  He is a classmate of mine, is arguably the best contemporary

epidemiologist, and has done a lot of work on this issue.

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Curies forever.

Bill Lipton

liptonw@dteenergy.com