Re: Yucca Poll Sientific American

Bud,

The main arguments against reprocessing spent fuel are that it is

expensive and that it creates a proliferation risk by separating plutonium

from the spent fuel.  If done properly, however, the proliferation risk

can be virtually eliminated.  The Pu can be extracted and immediately made

into mixed oxide (MOX)  fuel.  The main benefits of reprocessing are that

you are utilizing the energy left in "spent" fuel (by making MOX) and the

resulting waste can be easily vitrified and has a much shorter effective

half-life.  Most of the rest of the world is or is planning to use

reprocessing to manage their spent fuel.  The UK, France, Russia, and

India have active commercial reprocessing plants.  China and Japan are

building new commercial plants.  In both France and the UK, there are

questions being raised about the cost of reprocessing.

Transmutation seems to be a promising technology and we should pursue

further research into this area.  The possibility of future advancements

in spent fuel management is a good argument against permanent geologic

disposal.

Fritz

Johannes "Fritz" Strydom

Deputy Manager, Consulting Products