Re: Response to whooping cough comments

Dear Mark et al,
I am so glad you shed some light on this for the readers of Radsafe. I had a letter in progress much like yours, but didn't have time to finish it yesterday. The only difference is that here in the US they administer DPT to infants starting at 2 months and every 2 -4 months for the next 2 doses and then boosters until 5 yrs old.( total of 5 doses). I find initial vaccines given in infancy totally absurd as the vaccine doesn't even protect until all doses are given and even then the preventive effect is only 85%. Infants receiving the shot are typically more vulnerable to the side-effects of it than to the likelihood of contracting pertussis, but that is in part due to herd immunity. I object to infant administration, even though I have treated several ~2 week old babies with it at Children's Hospital in Denver, CO.  They were from very low income inadequately equipped households with poorly educated parents. ( Washing hands being the biggest positive preventive measur! e as in " An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure") The new vaccine seems to have fewer complications and seldom given by itself. Infant mortality and morbidity is lower now from the shot itself, and pertussis is managed successfully with antibiotics given within the first 21 days of contraction.
Thank you in the name of education for sharing your knowledge.
Kathy Earley
RN, BSN