Dirty Bomb

Title: Dirty Bomb

I am a radiological responder and a trainer. I agree with the postings of Jim Hardeman and Danny K. McClung. "Because of the lack of radiological knowledge in the public, and the media's frenzied reporting, terror WILL reign until the emergency responders in the affected jurisdiction can verify and control the situation."

I think we have to add the emergency response community to the list.

There is a lack of knowledge in the first and second level response community including those in the radiological community about Radiological Emergency Response.

There is a need to provide training in Radiological Emergency Response to individuals in these groups, not because of the threat of a Dirty Bomb, but because radioactive materials are transported and used in every community every day.

Yes incidents involving radioactive materials are few and fare between but reviewing responses (inappropriate responses) to such accidents by first and second level responders points to the need for training, so that as Jim and Danny point out "emergency responders in the affected jurisdiction can verify and control the situation" in a timely manner.

One of my responsibilities is planning for an incident involving a nuclear power plant. We do Bi annual exercises where in the process of doing one now.

NRC requires these exercises. They require a lot of work time, effort and expense but the benefit are that the emergency response community gets to know each other, and work together. Lessons learned are applied to Nuclear Response planning as well as emergency response in general.

Is there likely to be an incident at a nuclear power plant I don't think so. Is one going to be attacked by terrorists I doubt it. Is someone likely to make and use a dirty bomb I think so? Is the nature of Terrorism each attack has to be bigger and better than the last.

In the 60's 70's and early 80's we prepared for Nuclear Attack - Duck and Cover. A lot of emergency folks were trained in radiation protection.

This is our Duck and Cover. Training in Radiological; Emergency Response in preparation for a dirty bomb can be used for other situations just as the Rad Training for nuclear war was applied to other incidents involving radioactive materials.

Shewell Services Ruptured Logging Source 1983 was only 2 Ci that was a mess. Are we ready for something the size of Goinia - monitoring and decontaminating 1400 people a day? And the associated cleanup.

This is why we need to provide training for Emergency Responders.

Regarding Mark Sonters " Reality Check" We have done some scenarios and run some calculations for exercises purposes - Terrorist Incident involving radioactive materials. I suggest you up your amounts to say radiography sources quantities - 100 - 200 Ci amounts. Most damage an injury will be from blast. But as you point out a lot of contamination. Areas not useable due to exceeding EPA 400. A lot of people to be monitored possibly decontaminated- even just psychologically. A lot of area monitoring, sampling and decon.

So lets get ready just in case. Prior Planning Prevents Poor Performance.

Tony Gaglierd RO, EMT, R3