RE: Dirty Bomb

> The explosives will generally be far more dangerous than any harm from radiation dose associated with a dirty bomb.

Has anyone gotten any nuclear or scientific organization--ANS, HPS, NEI, DOE, NRC, EPA, etc. to make such a statement, with details such as Barbara spelled out?  All I hear (if anything on the subject) is "we're taking this very seriously"  "we're looking into it"  "we need more money for security"  "we've got lots of guards and we're getting more"  etc.

Must be a pretty terrifying problem, eh?  Why shouldn't the media and the public be terrified?  Who can blame them?

Well, of course the media have plenty to blame for.  I've been unable to get them to publish a simple statement of these facts that took me two months to hammer out, with 15 noted signatories, all members of the National Academy of Engineering.  But none of the "authorities" will issue, or even agree to, such statements.  That's where the blame starts. When I tried to get the Academy to issue a statement, I was told "We shouldn't say anything reassuring before the National Research Council issues its statement sometime this summer" because presumably they'll say it's a terrible problem requiring years of lucrative study.  We've brought this on ourselves, and we're still fighting to maintain it.

Ted Rockwell

Ted Rockwell