Re: Dirty Bomb

Eric —

I believe the original question regarded a terrorist event involving radioactive material ... and you fell into the trap of confusing "Lead Federal Agency" under the FRERP with "Lead Agency" under the PDD's. Don't feel bad ... it happens to the best of us. You're absolutely correct that the LFA under the FRERP will be determined by "who owned or had knowledge" of the material. I don't think the FRERP is clear as to who might be the LFA in a terrorist event ... I believe that falls under "LFA's confer".

We ran into the confusion in terminology / response between the FRP (Federal Response Plan), FRERP, Stafford Act and the various PDD's as far back as 1996 in our "Mirrored Image" exercise prior to the 1996 Olympic Games in Atlanta, GA. This exercise simulated several "dirty bombs" in an around Atlanta ... transportation centers, Olympic venues, etc. There was a LOT of confusion between "Lead Agency" and "Lead Federal Agency".

The question was whether an organizational structure exists, not whether response assets exists. We just got through with a MAJOR radiological exercise at Savannah River Site (SRS), working with the FRMAC, AMS (Aerial Measurement System), RAP teams from around the country, and yes, even an A-Team.

I'll send you about 20 pages of comments regarding the recent ingestion pathway exercise at SRS off-line ... not just mine, but from state participants in Alabama, Florida, North Carolina ... and quite a few from Georgia. It's not just my opinion ...

Jim Hardeman, Manager

Environmental Radiation Program

Georgia Environmental Protection Division

4244 International Parkway, Suite 114

Atlanta, GA 30354

(404) 362-2675

Fax: (404) 362-2653

E-mail: Jim_Hardeman@mail.dnr.state.ga.us

>>> "Wagner, Eric" <WagnerEC@NV.DOE.GOV> 5/16/2002 11:56:18 >>>

>Jim_Hardeman@mail.dnr.state.ga.us wrote:

>To my knowledge, no "real" organizational structure like the one you

mention exists in the US. If someone has different information, please

advise.

For situations where an incident is determined to have a radiological aspect

where a State feels the need for Federal assistance they can request from

the DOE a RAP Team (Radiological Assistance Program). The US has multiple

regions with teams geographically dispersed so their arrival can be in terms

of a few hours. If your local first-responders aren't aware of this asset

available for their use I would encourage them to contact their State's

radiation control agency (or equivalent). If the incident requires more

support than one team can provide the state can request additional assets up

to and including a FRMAC (Federal Radiological Monitoring and Assessment

Center).

>Yes, I'm aware of the Presidential Decison Directives (PDD's) on weapons of

mass destruction ... Once it goes boom, the Federal Emergency Management

Agency (FEMA) is in charge of "consequence management", but they will rely

heavily on the assets of other federal agencies such as DOE, EPA, CDC, etc.

Actually if you take a look at the Federal Radiological Emergency Response

Plan (FRERP - see links below), FEMA only covers the non-radiological

aspects of an incident. The Lead Federal Agency (LFA) for a FRMAC is

determined by type of emergency. For terrorist acts see section 5C for the

role of the FBI.

> Under the Federal Radiological Emergency Response Plan (FRERP), the

"health agencies" will also form something called "Advisory Team on

Environment, Food and Health" (A-Team) ... this is composed of personnel

from the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), the Environmental Protection

Agency (EPA), and the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) ...

probably both from the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the Centers

for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Despite being in the plan for more

than 6 years, and exercising at dozens of exercises, the feds have yet to

convince me that they can actually field a credible A-Team if they actually

had to.

I'd be interested in why you feel that they wouldn't be able to field a

credible A-Team? Off-list would be fine.

>Also, jurisdictional issues are quite unclear ... who's in charge, feds,

state or locals?

>From the Federal perspective, at least for the emergency phase radiological

response, it goes DOE->LFA->State. See the links at the end for more DOE

program information. Once the situation has stabilized the DOE and EPA

negotiate a transition and the EPA will replace the DOE for the intermediate

and long-term response.

--Eric

FRERP links

http://www.au.af.mil/au/awc/awcgate/frerp/frerp.htm